Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Celebration Continues!


My bday festivities continued tonight when I celebrated with the rest of my “fam.” Dear friends Perry and Cherri were taking me out for dinner, but I was informed our first stop would be their place since the girls has special gifts for me.

I hadn’t even stepped one toe into their house when Sarah greeted me with a grin and huge box wrapped in kitty paper. Nestled inside was Sarah-inspired pottery. Not only did she do all the painting herself, but she actually came up with the idea on her own. How sweet! It definitely looks like something I would have picked out for myself. Olivia’s gift was just as extraordinary, but requires a bit of explanation.

During a visit shortly after school let out for the summer, the girls shared their art portfolios with me. Yes, that’s right. Portfolios. In kindergarten.  Each week throughout the school year their art teacher introduced her students to a different artist and his work, explained the concepts behind his creativeness, and then turned the kids loose to craft their own pieces using what they had learned. I gotta tell you … I’ve never met this woman, but am totally impressed with the way she launched them into the world of art. I was wowed by what both Sarah and Olivia had done. Their amazing artwork is worthy of framing; an entire wall in Perry and Cherri’s house needs to be turned into a mini gallery to showcase their creations. Fortunately for me, one piece found its way to my house.

Once Olivia saw that Sarah had made something for my birthday gift, she declared she wanted to make something, too. She ultimately decided to frame one of the projects from her portfolio. She wasn’t quite ready to part with her favorite (nor would I want her to) and chose the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired piece instead. Seriously? How on earth did she know I’m a HUGE FLW fan? Cherri often comments that Olivia and I are on the same page and that she could be my child. (And though it’s an entirely different story, she also swears Olivia is going to end up being a pole dancer. Should I be worried?) Her gift, too, is very much my taste. I am truly touched that the girls put so much thought and effort into their gifts. I love my nieces and their pieces!


But they were spending the evening with a babysitter while Perry, Cherri and I took off for more adult-type celebrating. Grill One Eleven in downtown Rockford was the destination of choice. We snagged a table on the upper outdoor deck and indulged in great food, drink and conversation. They ran into friends Kurt and Judy, who we ended up joining later in the evening to enjoy more cocktails and the musical entertainment. Good times!

A huge thanks to Perry, Cherri, Sarah and Olivia (and Kurt and Judy, too!) for making this year’s birthday celebration so special. Love to all of you!

1 comment:

deni said...

Very impressive artwork girls. Homemade gifts are always the best.