Thursday, June 17, 2010

Millennium Park


No, I’m not quite ready to permanently trade in my stilettos and cosmos for sneakers and a water bottle. It’s just that I’ve been wandering a lot lately and seem to end up at all these places I’ve been meaning to explore but just never found (made?) the time to check out. I wonder why it took me so long to discover what is projected to be one of the nation’s largest urban parks. Six years have flown by since it was first dedicated in 2004, but I suppose I’m better late than not at all, huh?

The 1500-acre Millennium Park is a combination of outdoor recreational activity and green space. If you’re into waterworks, it offers a 100-acre lake on a sandy beach and a splash pad for kids of all ages. There are also volleyball, basketball and bocce ball courts, as well as picnic pavilions.


But I’d rather spend my time off the beaten path on the paved walkway.


A 13-mile network of trails winds through rolling terrain and wetlands. Featuring woods, meadows, lakes and streams, they allow you to become one with the flora, wildlife, fish and waterfowl of the area.



It was the perfect place to get lost for a few hours (figuratively not literally … I’ve got an innate sense of direction!).

My plan is to banish the spider family which has taken up residence in my bike and brush the cobwebs from its spokes. I think I’ve just found a great new place to put some miles on it. Let me know if you want to join me!

2 comments:

deni said...

I've been wanting to take the kids biking. THis would be a great place.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the ducks!