Saturday, May 8, 2010

Grandma Kelly


My maternal grandmother was quite a woman as well. She’d always take the time to bake cookies with us and made Shake ‘N Bake chicken for every special occasion. It took me years to get it right, but I have finally figured out just the right balance of a pinch of this and a dab of that which constitutes her chicken soup. And because she was such a fabulous seamstress, my Barbie dolls sported the most unique ensembles (though I can’t imagine how she had the patience to sew those tiny little things).

I’ve inherited many things from her over the years: a Polish cookbook, a cedar chest, and a diamond ring. But the piece that screams Grandma Kelly, and the one I treasure the most, is the pencil glass.

I can’t believe it’s been 15 years since I’ve been able to spend time with her, but I’ll always remember what a special person she was.  Needless to say, she has a special place not only in my life, but also in my heart.

2 comments:

Karen...signing my real name because I want the pencil glass said...

I believe the pencil glass is the most coveted.

May I have the pencil glass?

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you still have the "pencil glass"

Mom