Monday, May 17, 2010

Time Out


I love reading, but have had lots going on and lately just haven’t found the time to indulge. Remember A Passage to India which I started in January and continued to tackle in March? Still haven’t gotten past Page 100. And let’s not even talk about those other 50+ books I have yet to dust off and crack open. I’m a pretty fast reader and can usually get through a book in several hours. The problem seems to be carving out that time in my schedule to do so. But I finally did just that.

Back in March Tracey and I swapped books. She got Isadore’s Secret by Mardi Link and I received The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I had heard rants and raves about the epistolary novel, but knew little of it other than its brief blurb:
January 1946: Writer Julie Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German Occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.
Intrigued, I picked it up … and couldn’t put it down. While a very serious subject matter was discussed, it was a seemingly charming and heartwarming read. It had the perfect balance of history and friendship and romance. I loved, Loved, LOVED it!

And yes, now I must revisit India.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever picture!

deni said...

Very creative way to photograph the book.