Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bucket-O-Ideas


Admittedly I had an “Oh shit!” moment when I crossed the threshold into my 40th year, but that notion only lasted for 3.74 seconds before I remembered age is really only a number.  I was young at heart and still had plenty of years ahead of me.  Isn’t attitude much more important? Thus was born my “list of things to do before I die,” which was later shortened to “life list” and finally dubbed “bucket list” with the release of the movie in 2007. But where to go, what to do, who to see?

I started contemplating all those “some day I’d like to …” ideas and jotted them down.  I was shooting for 100 goals, but since I’ve never been one to do anything in moderation, the number eventually doubled. Some things are silly (No. 32: Milk a cow), some adventurous (No. 4: Skydive), some educational (No. 20: Read the 100 best novels of the 20th century), and some will simply require me to be in the right place at the right time (No. 39: View a total solar eclipse). There are a lot of travel-related aspirations and unfortunately even a few which are no longer possible (No. 72: Fly on the Concorde). Suffice it to say that, much like me, my bucket list is a work in progress, ever-changing and still growing.

I tend to accomplish more with a checklist in hand, so for the past decade it has remained the method to my madness on most days. I also find in those “woe is me” moments when I reflect upon the things I’ve accomplished thus far, there is much I would otherwise not have done. Somehow my life doesn’t really seem to suck so much after all. (Remind me I said that, will you, because Lord knows I’ve got a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg way to go). Not sure who said it, but I have to agree … “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’” Indeed, what a long, strange trip it’s been!

That being said, and since I still have many places to go, things to do and people to see, I thought I’d share my list. Who knows … you (or someone you know) may have the means to assist me in tackling my objectives. Got a koala to cuddle?  An extra airline ticket to the other side of the globe? A hankering to go spelunking? In need of a partner in crime?  If so, I’m your girl! More importantly, however, I hope it inspires you to think about what you’d like to accomplish during your lifetime. If you’ve ever thought about generating your own bucket list, my words of advice are simple: Just do it! (Wouldn’t that make a great advertising campaign?!?) You’ll find once you get your ideas on paper, you’ll make a ton of progress and have a blast in the process.

A word of advice though. If you’re in the housewares department of your local supermarket photographing buckets and hear a store-wide announcement declaring “Clean up in Aisle 3 … customer with camera in Aisle 7,” the first thing on your list should be to hightail it outta there!

***

1. Forget how old I am and remember how young I am

2. Ride in a hot-air balloon

3. Own a passport

4. Skydive

5. Snorkel Australia’s Great Barrier Reef

6. Attend an Indianapolis 500 race

7. Tour Australia

8. Cruise the Nile in a felucca

9. Ride a camel

10. Tour the capitol building of all 50 states [19 to date!]

11. Walk the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day

12. Attend a Super Bowl game

13. Visit the Eiffel Tower

14. Celebrate New Year’s Eve in Times Square

15. Learn to downhill ski

16. Run in a 5K race

17. View Christ the Redeemer on Corcovado in Rio de Janero

18. Learn to play Chopsticks on the piano

19. Pamper myself with the works at a luxury spa

20. Read the 100 best novels of the 20th century [22 to date!]

21. Celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans

22. Attend the Olympics

23. Whitewater raft

24. Celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary

25. Obtain my associate, bachelor and master degrees

26. Go on an Alaskan cruise

27. Float on the Great Salt Lake

28. Ride an elephant

29. Visit the Great Wall of China

30. Attend a Broadway show in New York City

31. Own a fire-engine-red convertible

32. Milk a cow

33. Meet Rod Stewart

34. Join the Mile High Club

35. Visit the Temple of the Inscriptions of Palenque, Mexico

36. Ride a Harley-Davidson

37. Be published

38. Speak fluent Spanish

39. View a total solar eclipse

40. Climb Ayers Rock in Australia

41. Attend the Tournament of Roses parade

42. Visit the Taj Mahal

43. Stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island

44. Ride a burro in the Grand Canyon

45. Walk down London’s Abbey Road in homage to the Beatles

46. Learn sign language

47. Volunteer at the Special Olympics

48. Drink mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby

49. Reread the original Nancy Drew mysteries [here's the story on this one]

50. Ride a fire engine ... with a Dalmatian

51. Witness the change of a century

52. Drink tequila on a beach in Mexico ... and swallow the worm

53. Give money and muscle to Habitat for Humanity

54. Go behind the scenes at Disneyworld

55. Fly in a helicopter

56. Bid at an auction

57. Visit Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water

58. Participate in an archeological dig

59. Visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa

60. Attend the final game at Tiger Stadium

61. Paddle a canoe

62. Get a tattoo

63. Roller blade

64. Skinny dip

65. Take a child to the circus

66. Make love in a limousine

67. Pay off my credit cards and go an entire year without accruing interest charges

68. Work the phones at a charity telethon

69. Shop along Rodeo Drive

70. Pay off my mortgage

71. Go from London to Paris via the Chunnel

72. Fly on the Concorde

73. Ride a horse on the beach

74. Visit the Great Pyramid at Giza

75. Stay at a dude ranch

76. Attend a NASA launch

77. Eat sushi

78. Learn to juggle

79. Go on an African safari

80. Cut down my own Christmas tree

81. Attend the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade

82. Ride through Central Park in a horse-drawn carriage

83. Make love in the ocean

84. Renew my wedding vows at an Elvis chapel in Vegas

85. Attend the Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan

86. Fly a kite

87. Watch all the Oscar-winning Best Picture movies

88. Walk behind a waterfall

89. Go backstage to meet the band after a concert

90. Learn to use chopsticks [disclaimer: I learned HOW to use them, but still haven't mastered this!]

91. Drive I-5 from Bellingham, Washington to San Diego, California

92. Ride the Ferris wheel on Navy Pier in Chicago

93. Ride in a gondola along the Grand Canal of Venice

94. Learn to say “I love you” in ten different languages

95. Eat lobster in Maine

96. Scuba dive

97. Visit the Sydney Opera House

98. Own a vanity license plate

99. Drink Dom Pérignon

100. Parasail

101. Stand in the torch of the Statue of Liberty [they only allowed us to climb to the crown]

102. Ride a cable car in San Francisco

103. Win a hula hoop contest

104. Visit Stonehenge

105. Vacation on Martha’s Vineyard

106. Stand atop Hoover Dam

107. Have a walk in closet

108. Ice skate at Rockefeller Center in New York City

109. Swim in all five Great Lakes [one down, four to go!]

110. Stay at a bed and breakfast

111. View Old Faithful in action

112. Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany

113. Tour California’s wine country

114. Make a gingerbread house

115. Cuddle a koala

116. View the sun rise at Haleakala Crater on Maui

117. Dine aboard the Queen Mary

118. Explore the Florida Everglades by airboat

119. Visit the Alamo

120. Have my handwriting analyzed

121. Ride a double-decker bus in London

122. Live to celebrate my 100th birthday

123. Receive two dozen roses from an admirer [if you're a potential suitor, feel free to repeat this one!]

124. Stand beneath a redwood tree

125. View a moose in the wild

126. Get “lei’d” in Hawaii

127. Attend the Monterey Jazz Festival

128. Make love on a bearskin rug in front of a roaring fire

129. Find a four-leaf clover

130. Travel on a Mississippi riverboat

131. Meet a Beatle

132. Ride the Orient Express

133. Visit Mount Rushmore

134. Purchase season tickets to both a sporting event and the theater

135. Sample Beluga caviar

136. View Angel Falls in Venezuela

137. Attend a Michigan-Michigan State football game

138. Kiss the Blarney Stone

139. Visit a nude beach

140. View a meteor shower

141. View the Chicago skyline from the top of the Sears Tower

142. Stand in the center of the Roman Coliseum

143. Mow the lawn

144. Attend a Cubs game at Wrigley Field

145. Visit the Imperial Palace in China

146. Visit the Guggenheim Museum in New York City

147. Attend Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

148. Drink a bottle of wine that is older than I am

149. Shear a sheep

150. Be an extra in a movie

151. Keep the key to the first house I ever own [well, techinically it still belongs to the bank ...]

152. Learn to make pierogi

153. Ride in an Amish horse-drawn buggy

154. Receive a happy birthday message on the scoreboard at a baseball stadium

155. Drink cocktails in the Polo Lounge of the Beverly Hills Hotel

156. Visit the Parthenon

157. Float on the Dead Sea

158. Deep-sea fish

159. Invest in the stock market

160. Fire a gun

161. Slide down the pole in a firehouse

162. Ride in a hovercraft

163. View the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace

164. Tour a coal mine

165. Drive on the German autobahn

166. Attend a luau

167. Knit an afghan

168. Take the tram to the top of St. Louis’ Gateway Arch

169. Own diamond earrings

170. Attend a sunrise service on Easter Sunday

171. Own a typewriter, a vestige of bygone era [here’s the story on this one]

172. Ride all 13 roller coasters at Cedar Point

173. Experience childbirth

174. Have a recipe published in the newspaper

175. Smoke a cigar

176. Cross the International Date Line

177. Ride in a horse-drawn sleigh

178. Take a Dale Carnegie course

179. Eat escargot

180. Sit in the front row at a concert

181. Soak in a natural hot spring

182. Stay awake for 24 hours

183. Donate blood

184. View the seven natural wonders of the world

185. Put a message on a billboard

186. Receive a scholarship to help pay for my education

187. Pose for a boudoir photograph

188. Cruise the Greek Islands

189. Take a mud bath

190. Go to the top of Toronto’s CN Tower

191. Have business cards

192. Eat oysters

193. Bake a pie from scratch

194. Return to the House on the Rock and actually walk to the end of the Infinity Room

195. Enjoy the view from the top of the World Trade Center

196. Explore Mammoth Cave National Park

197. Read the Little House books of Laura Ingalls Wilder

198. Win more than $100 in the lottery

199. Compile a list of all the airports I arrive in or depart from

200. Attend a Shakespearean performance at the Globe Theatre in London

201. Drive Route 66 from Chicago to LA

202. Live my life with few regrets

4 comments:

Feeling reflective this morning said...

~Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!~

I've always loved that quote, too!

Amidst the challenges, the tears, and the triumphs in life, I'll be pleased if I can even mosey in sideways, knowing I've lived life to it's fullest and appreciated each breath God gave to me. He never said it would be easy, but it doesn't mean we can't laugh and enjoy it along the way. I choose to enjoy it with friends by my side, sharing their joys and laughter, and sharing their burdens. I want you right there with me sliding in sideways to meet God with a twinkle in our eyes.

deni said...

WOW! THat's quite a list (I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing).
1. You need to cross off #39 per your post.
2. I told you before, you're welcome to come over to my house and accomplish #143 (my yard's smaller then yours).
3. Good luck with #173, unless you have something to tell the family.
4. Do all thiese things need to be accomplished after the list was made? If not you have done #177 when we all went to Garland for cross country skiing. We even have pictures of it.
5. I should have figured it was you when I heard camera in aisle 7 at Meijer the other day! HA! Just joking.

Tracey said...

As I have told you before, you have inspired me in many ways since we met. Another great blog post! With all this rain we've been getting, it shouldn't be hard to accomplish #189!

Julie said...

Wow! What a list! You are welcome to tackle the lawn mowing at my house at any time! Feel free to just do it. You don't even have to ask first. :)
When you go on an African safari... invite me! You could easily cross a lot of those things off your list quite quickly. Start with mowing our lawn, then go donate blood... Go home and bake a pie (You'll need the sugar after donating blood.) I'm sure we can find some kids that would gladly give you a "mud bath," although I bet that's not what your looking for. Next stop at the gun club and ask for a quick lesson, then go home and book your night at the Grand Hotel! (That one is on my list too!)While your in Mackinaw you can easily cross two more lakes off your list if you like to swim. I also can find you an elephant to ride... We see one every fall.

:)
Have fun!