Friday, March 5, 2010

Yesterday ... Today


I know jealousy is not a favorable attribute, especially when it stems from something that happened 45 years ago. I will admit, however, my green-eyed monster rears its ugly head when I enviously recall the good fortune of my friend Sharon. Granted she was a mere ten years old and only privy to a piece of rock ‘n roll history because her mother insisted she tag along with her brother, but what I wouldn’t give to have been in her go-go boots in 1964 and presented with an opportunity to see the Fab Four in their heyday.

Some may disagree, but there will never be another Beatles; they are the greatest rock band of all time. At the outset I was more moved by their music than by what they had to say. “I give it a 97; it’s got a great beat and you can dance to it.” While their compositions most entertainingly get to my core, I have also come to appreciate what great storytellers they were and the impact they had on American rock history. My music collection is comprised in part of just about every Beatles album ever made. (Can I still call them “albums” if they are in CD format???) The Fab Four (though only half of them now remain) have been around just as long as I have. They’ve spanned the test of time and we’ve grown together.  Though I was born a tad bit too late to experience true Beatlemania, I’m thrilled they are still a vital part of the music world some four decades later.

I am again a season ticketholder for Broadway Grand Rapids, and an encore performance of Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles was part of this year’s lineup. If you haven’t yet figured it out, I’m a huge fan of the Beatles and look forward to anything showcasing their work. Yes, I had just attended the concert last spring, but it was—and still is—so fab that I could see it 100 times and never tire of it … especially since “Paul” of the Faux Four now plays left-handed guitar! Couple a repertoire covering their very first Ed Sullivan Show appearance through the psychedelic late 60’s with historical film footage and period-specific costumes, and it was a true Beatle experience. They may not be the real thing, but I was happy to be amongst the three generations in attendance twistin’ and shoutin’!

If truth be told, though, I really must confess. There is underlying motive as to why I still love the Beatles in 2010. Simply put, if they don’t age, neither do I!

No comments: