Monday, March 15, 2010

Pretty Ponies


My recent visit to the Van Andel Museum generated many great memories from my own childhood when I was just about my niece’s age. Though my recollections don’t date back as far as the re-created streets of 1890s Grand Rapids, the Voight-Herpolsheimer Department Store window displays do remind me of time I spent with my great-aunt. The details are a bit fuzzy some forty years later, but I recall taking the bus into the city to shop for dresses at Herp’s and having lunch at the Tea Room where another aunt worked.

But the antique carousel housed in the Cook Carousel Pavilion which extends over the Grand River is my favorite place for reminiscing. This classic wooden beauty was manufactured by the Spillman Engineering Company in 1928 and is one of only three of this style known to have been produced. Originally part of Lakewood Amusement Park in Barnesville, Pennsylvania, it ultimately found its way to Grand Rapids in 1982.

Its ornately jeweled, hand-carved wooden figures include 40 jumping horses, 4 standing horses and 6 menagerie animals (a giraffe, lion, deer, goat, tiger and camel), all of which have been fully restored to their previous color and design with enameled acrylic paints. In addition to the original ticket booth, the carousel also features Art Nouveau painted panels, carved frieze, brass poles, 1,200 lights, and music to which one can merrily go round and round provided by a 1908 Wurlitzer band organ.  Not only does the carousel cater to the child in me, but its colorful horses are very camera-friendly.

Tell me though … is it just me or are they indeed sporting Dad’s “diarrhea look”?

2 comments:

deni said...

I don't know..... I think the horses have a more expressive "look" then Dad's "look"!

Tracey Warner said...

Another great blog post! And I like your photo of the horses better than mine; however I did take it through the window while strolling by because the carousel was closed.