Monday, March 22, 2010

My Peeps


I love spending time with family and friends during the holidays, but admittedly come March there are other peeps with whom I’d rather be chillin’. 

Hello. My name is Lynn and I am a Peep-a-holic.

While the brightly-colored, sugar-coated confections now come in a variety of colors and seasonal shapes to commemorate all the holidays, the only time I overindulge is when consuming yellow chicks in celebration of Easter. But there’s no need to worry about how chubby I’m going to get.  As long as I don’t eat 600 million of them in one sitting, I’ll be fine. A single Peep contains 32 calories and is fat-free, which makes a box of five only 160 calories!

And do you know the proper way to inhale them? No, you just can’t rip open the cellophane and pop one (or the entire package) into your mouth. You have to let them stale-ize. (Okay, maybe that one isn’t really in Webster’s, but feel free to check.)  Peeps are like fine wine and must be allowed to breathe. Extra crunch on the outside is just the right complement to the marshmallowyness (I’m pretty sure that one’s not in the dictionary) on the inside.  Mine will be perfectly aged by the time Easter arrives; I’ll ignore those cute little faces and enjoy every bite.

And then I’ll eat the ears off a chocolate bunny …

2 comments:

Sandy Milan said...

I LOVE peeps too!

Tracey Warner said...

I didn't know this about you! Another thing we cousins have in common! Did I ever tell you about the Peep eating contest between myself, Jay R. and Andy S. a few years ago over the Noon hour? If not, I'll have to fill you in!