Monday, March 29, 2010

Where in the World?


Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.

~ Mark Twain

It’s a given that travel provides an escape for fun and adventure. Yet when we visit other places around the world, we also gain a better understanding of the people living there. We learn their culture and history. We notice the things we have in common, as well as our differences. When we encounter diverse backgrounds, it increases our knowledge and widens our perspective.

Wanderlust has long been in my blood and I can’t imagine an existence without the chance to journey and explore and discover and grow. I’ve been fortunate in the opportunities presented to me to date. While most of my ventures have taken me from the east to the left coast of the United States (though there is obviously a serious lack of pins sprouting from the wild, wild west), the world map hanging in my office sports a marker in the middle of the Pacific Ocean (Oahu), in Europe (Italy) and in Asia (China) as well.

I’d be hard-pressed to pick a favorite experience for each is uniquely fascinating with its offerings. And, as is typically the case with anything I do, they all impart great memories and stories. But if I must cite just one, it would have to be my first trip abroad (not to be confused with my first trip as a broad!) when I traveled to Italy in April 2004.

My cousin Rachel was on sabbatical in Florence for a year and had extended an invitation to anyone who was inclined to visit. So I bought an airline ticket and journeyed solo across the pond for two weeks. I set foot on Italian soil and sort of freaked out after making my connection in London with literally three minutes to spare (have you ever seen a cute blonde girl on a mission run through an airport in high-heeled boots?), being awake for nearly 24 hours and battling jetlag while still fighting a horrible cold, not being able to figure out how the phone in my hotel room worked or immediately locating an internet café, misunderstanding even those who did speak English, discovering no iron in my hotel room (the horror!), and learning how to flush the toilet. Okay, I totally freaked out. I started questioning everything I had done in my life for the last six months, including making the trip alone. In two words: culture shock. I was a fish out of water, but eventually learned how to swim. That experience was good for me even though I was out of my element; I learned much and grew from it. I went on to spend three days alone in Venice, took a train to Rome where I met Rachel, and then spent the remainder of the time with her in Florence for the Easter holiday. What an amazing introduction to international travel (not to mention great photo ops!). It only whetted my appetite for more, and I vowed to take advantage of every opportunity which would thereafter cross my path.

That world map is still just as inviting, but there are not nearly enough pins in it. It’s on days like today, when the weather is warm and the sun shining, that I long to grab a toothbrush, a change of underwear and go. But Rome wasn’t built in a day (I’ve been there; I know!) nor will I accomplish traveling the world in one fell swoop. I do have to work on occasion to fund these endeavors!

If I can’t embark upon a voyage myself, the next best thing is to travel vicariously through my family and friends. I’m one of those people who will actually look at every one of your 650 photos and enjoys hearing all about your (mis)adventures without having to feign interest. That being said, what is your most memorable travel experience? You don’t need to have been to a far flung corner of the globe (the last marker added to my map was placed at Toledo!), but we’ve all got pearls of wisdom to share. Where did you go?  Who did you meet?  What did you discover?

I’m staring at a pile of files which need my attention, but would love to journey elsewhere today, even if I have to settle for doing so via armchair travel.  Do tell!

3 comments:

Carmen Sandiego said...

Ready...set...go! Find me!

deni said...

I've been alot of places....
Russia and China of course were favorite trips for obvious reasons (meeting my sons Zhak and Kaden).
Favorite place, pre-kids, would probably be Austria. Absolutely beautiful country and would love to go back with the boys someday.

Lori said...

Oahu, Hawaii is a huge favorite of mine, but I also loved Austria and Rothenburg and Salzburg, Germany.